Sunday 17 March 2013

Hairband heaven..................

Pre-school cherub is very much taken with hairbands just now. She refuses to wear hair bobbles or clips, it just MUST be a hairband!
Until now I had two or three lying in a draw that had been gifts with purchases from the lovely people at Eternal Creation, but use necessitated that they get washed, or perhaps cherub would misplace them (under the sofa, behind the bed.....) and so I found myself needing a couple more in reserve.
Soft fabric hairbands are proving the best at this age, but often come with a hefty price tag.

So I decided to make some.

I kept it incredibly easy and also forgiving on sewing untidiness (I rarely get a few minutes of quiet time to concentrate on a task).

The main headband piece can be made from one piece of fabric or from a number of smaller pieces. I did both as I had some spare 5 inch squares left over from quilting.

Then you need a piece of fabric to cover the elastic - I used a plain colour piece in contrast to the main piece.

So firstly, I got the squares sewn together to make the 2 sides to the main piece:

 

 and then once they were sewn into the two strips I placed right sides facing and sewed along the long sides leaving the two short ends open so I could turn the whole thing the right way round.

Then I sewed up the fabric casing for the elastic in the same way...










Keeping the elastic pinned down at one end of the fabric, use a needle or safety pin and drag the elastic through to the other end, scrunching the fabric up so the elastic appears at the opening....





I then turned in the ends of the main headpiece and sewed in the elastic piece at each end - you can be as creative as you like here with pleating....


 

Secure the elastic with a couple of runs with the machine and even out the ruffles on the fabric....

 
 
Easy and quick, I ran up one for each cherub within an hour !


 
   
 
 
Because of the width of fabric used in the headpiece, they can be worn scrunched a little as above or spread out for a wider coverage if you fancy it - good for a bad hair day!
 



 


The great thing about these is they are cheap and quick to run up so as colour and pattern likes and dislikes change, so too can the hairbands :)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment